Monday, April 5, 2010

Illustrating the art of fashion... Rene Gruau

For those of you who didn't know who Rene Gruau, allow me to enlighten you. Rene Gruau is an icon of fashion illustration. He started selling his illustrations in the 1935 at the age of 18 but it was his work in the 1950's that made him a artist to remember. Rene's drawings are elegant, seductive and refined which epitomises the fashions of the time. His work was instrumental in launching Christian Dior's New Look range in 1947 which lead to a close collaboration between to two artists for many years. Rene has also worked for many Haute Couture fashion houses and magazines as well as illustrating for advertising and theatre design. Every time I look at one of his illustrations I get lost in a world of timeless elegance. I wish I could illustrate like Rene Gruau and his work constantly inspires me. Enjoy.







Image source: BUXBAUM, G. (ed.) 2005. Icons of Fashion: The 20th Century, Munich: Prestel.

No comments:

Post a Comment